Thursday, October 16, 2014

People- They're the Worst.

This book is desperately needed by some of my neighbours.
We celebrated on Sunday, so on actual Thanksgiving, the BF and I went to the only grocery store open in the area, to pick up a few things.  So, it seems, did everyone else in the city.  The parking lot was full, cars were illegally parked everywhere, and when we left, there were cars stretched around the block trying to get into the lot.  In the store, there were people buying the whole nine yards- turkeys, potatoes, veggies, pumpkin pies.  I have a grudging respect for people who don't plan their Thanksgiving dinners until noon the day of; it's absolutely the opposite of someone like me.

Anyway, the BF dropped me off with my groceries.  I was carrying a case of Diet Coke, a huge bag of groceries, a wrapped bouquet of flowers, and my stuffed purse.  None of the other people going into my condo held the door for me, but it was OK, I caught it with my leg. I got into the elevator with 2 people, neither of whom were holding anything.  As my hands were full, I waited a second for someone to say "which floor?" and make the incredible effort of raising an arm to press a button, but neither did. They both just pretended I wasn't there.  So, I took a deep breath, juggled my bags, rested the Diet Coke on my knee, and reached forward to hit 22.

The guy got off before me, dragging his little dog, who seemed not to want to go with him.  Even your dog thinks your an asshole, I thought.  The next stop was mine.  As I got off, I considered exiting with a sarcastically cheerful "Happy Thanksgiving!", but I surprised myself by saying with a smile, "Die in a fire!"  That chick will tell her friends about the crazy bitch in the elevator, oblivious to her part in the story. Worth it.

As it was Thanksgiving, let me say I am thankful to have been brought up to be the sort of person who will hold a door or push a button for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment