Thursday, August 14, 2014

Fishs Eddy and the Walk to Work

So few are...
It's just not a trip to New York without a stop at Fishs Eddy.  When a friend told me about it years ago, I thought she said "Fishetti's", so I was looking for some Italian store.  I just wandered in when I was walking up Broadway, and didn't realize I had found the place she was talking about until much later. In any case, this is a fun place to poke around when you're in the Union Square area.  I love entertaining, so I could happily spend all day, and a few paycheques, in here, snapping up trays, plates, and things I didn't know I need, like this.   I bought a lot from the Floor Plan series in 2008; probably the closest I'll ever get to living in a classic 6.  Ah, well.  Hard to believe I didn't purchase this very perceptive item:

My sentiments exactly.
If it were a travel mug, I guarantee I would have bought it for my walk to work. When I transferred to where I work now, I initially took the subway in the morning, but going only 4 stops seemed like a waste of money. It takes me about 40 minutes to walk.  The first 20 minutes are great, but after that, as my office is close to the lake, the journey gets tricky. Around Queen Street, I encounter the suburban train crowd coming into the city from Union station-  a sea of rushed smokers, texters, and wheeled suitcases.  I am often the only person walking against the tide.

Initially, it freaked me out.  I mean, there was this wave of humanity coming at me, taking up 95% of the sidewalk, but they seemed to want more.  There are still people who give me dirty looks when I won't get out of their way by walking in the street.  I have actually snorted "This isn't a one-way sidewalk, you know!".  And I have walked right through a few people, line-backer style. In time, I have gotten better at negotiating my narrow southbound lane; I keep to the right, and I keep alert.  Still, if you come at me with your head down, you will find yourself in a game of Chicken with me. I'm not saying you'll lose, but... I don't know how to finish that sentence...

No comments:

Post a Comment