Tuesday, July 29, 2014

40 percent

So I'm heading to New York on Friday.  As I do with all vacations, I have spent the past week endlessly checking weather reports.  The one thing I can't control becomes my obsession.  So typically me...

But there is an optimist in me somewhere- I compare all forecasts, then believe the best one. Unfortunately, for the past week, the percentage chance of rain has been increasing.

I wish the Weather Network here in Canada, and all others, frankly, would call a 40% Probability of Precipitation what it actually is- We Have No Fucking Idea%.  This has been the forecast here for weeks now, and it's driving me insane.  The point of the POP, for the ladies anyway, is twofold- is rain going to make my hair puffy, and will it ruin my shoes?  40% is no damn good to me.

Do I wear good shoes and hope for the 60% Probability of No Precipitation?  I have rather a large shoe collection, but not too many pairs I want to get rained on.  During the Great Toronto Flood of July, 2013, I lost a pair of sandals I loved.  On that day, I waded from the subway stop through ankle deep city water, and when I took those puppies off, I knew that they had, shall we say, seen too much.  They were great shoes- cute, comfortable.  They'd been to New York, Italy, and France, and I'd been able to walk miles and look good. When they started drying out, however, they smelled like a sewer, so they had to go. I still miss those shoes...
Melissa flox gladiators.  So far, so good!

To deal with 40%, I actually bought rubber shoes.  I saw these Melissa gladiators on sale, and they were strangely comfortable.  I have walked a bit in them, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but no blisters! This is practically unprecedented.  I get blisters from Rockports, Birkenstocks, Cole Haans, and flip-flops, not just from pointy-toed Manolos.

I'm bringing these to New York, since the forecast is in this Who Knows range, and I'm leaving the  Ferragamos at home.  Those babies have never left their soft felt encasements on a day with over 10% POP. And they never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment