Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Hundred Pounds of Vogue

The recent Kimye issue was the first Vogue I haven't bought since May of 1986. (I still have that one, by the way). It's not the cover subjects' fault, really; I truly have no understanding of who they are. But I know who they are not- fashion models!

Now THAT'S a Vogue cover!
I started buying Vogue as a brand new teenager, during the Grace Mirabella era.  A while ago, my mom demanded that I get my collection the hell out of her closets, so I brought about a hundred pounds worth home after a recent visit (just the tip of the iceberg, I should add).  One look at the covers, and I was right back in the 80s, wanting big hair and shoulder pads.  I hate to admit it, but when I look back at those issues, I really think I prefer them. Sure, there were ads for L'Eggs pantyhose and about 100 kinds of cigarettes, but the clothes were fabulous!

RITZ cigarettes by Yves Saint Laurent.  What the actual fuck?
She's got L'Eggs!

I can finally afford, if not the high end, at least the middle ground, and instead of powerful females in sumptuous Donna Karan work clothes, more often than not, I get endless spreads from the spectacularly artistic Grace Coddington of Natalia Vodianova dressed as Alice in Wonderland. I love Grace, but, yawn. It's OK, Vogue doesn't need me.  For every 40-something woman who bails, 10 teenage girls will start buying.  Hell, Beiber might be on the September issue.

She may not be rocking my world with her cover choices, but I do really admire Anna Wintour (I was on line behind her at a bank machine near Lincoln Center once.  When I told my friend Steve, he said "Ooh, girl, I bet you wish you had been dressed better." Gay guys know how to hurt you...). Every criticism that has been leveled at her is one that would never stick to a man.  She's strong and knows what she wants, and if you don't deliver, watch out.  That's called being a boss, people, not a bitch.  I have worked for plenty of men like that, and no one ever characterized them as anything other than strong.  She's been putting up with that bullshit for years, and just keeps right on being herself, which you have to love.

I hope Vogue and I can meet somewhere in the middle.  I'll keep buying it out of devotion, but please, Anna, more Karan and Kors and less Kimye, K?



No comments:

Post a Comment